Enrolment at West Spreydon School
If you are considering enrolling at the school please feel free to contact the office to arrange a time for the Principal or another staff member to show you around the school and have a chat about what we offer you and your child.
If your child is turning five in the near future please contact the office with your child’s birth date and contact details.
Approximately four to six weeks before your child’s birthday you will be contacted to make an appointment to complete the enrolment forms and to arrange orientation visits.
When enrolling your child you will need to bring:
His or her birth certificate or passport or immigration documents.
A Plunket book or some evidence of up to date immunisation.
Landline and cell phone numbers.
Emergency contact names and phone numbers for when we cannot reach you.
Your Driver’s Licence number for Police vetting so you can help at school.
Other details you will need to supply includeImportant medical factors including the name and number of your medical practice.
Your child’s ethnicity and iwi.
Permission to participate in EOTC - Education Outside the Classroom.
Permission to use school ICT equipment and have access to the internet.
Permission to publish work or images on school ICT equipment.
Any helpful comments relating to your child’s behaviour, learning, achievement or skills and interests.
An Interactive Google Map of our school zone can be viewed here
The Ministry of Education has confirmed our school enrolment zone which came into effect in March 2018
There is now more rigorous paperwork that needs to be completed showing an intent to enrol and also a pre-enrolment form to complete whether in zone or out of zone. Please find the intent to enrol forms attached to complete and return to school as soon as possible.
About Our Enrolment Zone:
All Children living in our enrolment zone are entitled to attend West Spreydon School. Enrolments are taken at all levels throughout the year. The board will determine if there are places available for out of zone applications. You will be notified of the board's decision on an annual basis.
Our school enrolment zone encompasses the following areas:
All students who live within the home zone described below and/or shown on the attached map shall be entitled to enrol at the school.
Term 2 2020:
Te Ara Koropiko West Spreydon School has 15 out of zone places available for families wishing their children to begin at our school in Term 2 (28 April 2020 - 3 July 2020).
These places are for children entering classes Years 0-4.
Close off date for this application is Tuesday 7 April.
The ballot will be drawn on Wednesday 8 April.
Term 3 2020:
For children who wish to enrol in term 3, 2020
Advertisement Date Wednesday 22 April 2020
Application deadline 4 pm Wednesday 20 May 2020
Ballot Date Friday 22 May 2020
Term 4 2020:
For children who wish to enrol in term 4, 2020
Advertisement Date Wednesday 22 July 2020
Application deadline 4 pm Wednesday 19 August 2020
Ballot Date Friday 21 August 2020
Starting from the intersection of Frankleigh Street and Barrington Street, and proceeding in a counter-clockwise manner,
● North west on the South west side only of Barrington Street to the Christchurch Southern Motorway,
● West along the south side only of the Christchurch Southern Motorway to the Lincoln Road overpass,
● South west along the south east side only of Lincoln Road to Lyttelton Street,
● South east on Lyttelton Street to Edinburgh Street,
● South west on Edinburgh Street to Willis Place
● South east on Willis Place to the end of cul-de-sac
● From the southern end of Willis Place directly across to the north west end of Countess Lane
● South east on Countess Place to Neville Street
● South west on Neville Street to Domain Terrace
● South west across the Spreydon Domain to the Heathcote River
● South east along the north east bank of the Heathcote River to Sparks Road
● East along the north side only of Sparks Road to Frankleigh Street
● North east along the north side only of Frankleigh Street to Barrington Street
Each year the Board of Trustees will determine the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The Board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolments will be processed in the following order of priority:
● First priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of current students
● Second priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
● Third priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
● Fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
● Fifth priority must be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by ballot conducted in accordance with instructions by the Secretary, under Section 11G (1) on the Education Act 1989. Parents will be made aware of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Applicants seeking first or second priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
Ngā mihi nui
Chairman of West Spreydon School Board of Trustees (2018)